1. Help for older people who are experiencing abuse in the home

If you are an older person and are experiencing abuse or violence at home from a partner, family member, relative, friend or care provider, or if you suspect an older person you know may be a victim of abuse, you can contact the HSE Elder Abuse Service, your GP, Public Health Nurse, local Health Centre or An Garda Siochana or by calling the HSE Information Line on 1850 24 1850, Monday to Saturday 8am to 8pm.

The HSE has a dedicated Elder Abuse Service, with Senior Case Workers in place all over the country to take reports of Elder Abuse and provide help.

All reported cases of elder abuse are treated very seriously. All cases will be treated with confidentiality and, in so far as is practical, will be handled in a way that respects the wishes of the older person. The prime focus is on ensuring the safety and well-being of the older person while providing supports to stop the unwanted behaviour and facilitate the continuation of care.

If you or someone you know is experiencing abuse, tell someone.

HSE Information Line
Monday to Saturday, 8am-8pm
Call Save: 1850 24 1850
Email: info@hse.ie


You can also contact the Senior Helpline at the number below

Senior Helpline

7 days a week, 10am –10pm
LoCall: 1850 440 444
Email: info@thirdageireland.ie

The Senior Helpline is a national confidential telephone helpline for older people, provided by trained older volunteers.

In an emergency, where the person is at immediate risk, you should contact the Garda Síochána or emergency services on 999 or 112.